Nasal polyps most commonly refer to pale looking tumor like growths that arise from the mucosal surface of the nose and sinuses. Patients who have these are often diagnosed with chronic sinusitis and nasal polyposis.
Those who tend to form thick “peanut butter” like secretions with stringy, tenacious mucus with polypoid mucosal changes may have allergic fungal rhinosinusitis. Those who have nasal polyposis or allergic fungal sinusitis have “chronic hypertrophic sinusitis”.
Normal Sinus CT Scan
Abnormal Sinus CT Scan
Developed by Russian doctors, this simple breathing exercise will help you clear a stuffy nose or get rid of nasal congestion in just a minute or two. This breathing exercise works for over 85% of people. Make sure to follow the instructions correctly.
- Pinch your congested nose and walk fast with your blocked nose pinched and your mouth closed all the time. You likely will be able to make around 20-30 steps.
- While walking, you should hold your breath until a strong urge to breathe. Then sit down with your spine totally straight and focus on your breath..
- After you release your nose, resume your usual breathing (not with deep breaths) and keep the mouth closed. Hence, instead of taking a big inhalation, take a smaller inhale and then relax all muscles for exhalation, especially the upper chest and other respiratory muscles..
- Take another (smaller) inhale and again relax. With each inhalation, practice this reduced or shallow breathing while remaining relaxed..
- Your purpose is to maintain air hunger for about 2-3 min with total relaxation of body muscles. The breathing can be frequent during this reduced breathing or shallow breathing, but this is OK..
It may seem silly and too simple to get rid of a stuffy nose, but it works. Once you have cleared the nose, it is important to breathe only through your nose and not through your mouth.
Reference: Bartley James, Nasal congestion and hyperventilation syndrome, American Journal of Rhinology, 2005 Nov-Dec; vol 19(6): p. 607-11.
Credits: Real Farmacy
|Make sure to Like Us on facebook to see more amazing stories like this. |
What Do You Think ? Add a Comment...