A revolution is upon us on Earth to move from a pollution and waste dependent society to one of sustainability and environmentally friendly initiatives. Trees are the lungs of our planet. The more trees we plant, the cleaner our air for generations to come. We are very proud to now offer our audience the Bios Urn, a funerary urn made from biodegradable materials that will turn you into a tree after you die. Inside the urn there is a pine seed, which can be replaced by any other seed or plant, and will grow to remember your loved one. Bios Urn transforms death into life through nature.
The funeral services industry including funeral homes, crematoriums and cemeteries generates billions. Many companies in the the industry have a poor reputation for consumer abuses, but the services continue to be necessary for virtually every family. Problem areas include high costs, fraudulent prepaid funeral plans, high-pressure casket sales, sales of unnecessary products and possible environmental pollution at cemeteries.
Poisonous embalming fluid, sealed caskets and cement burial vaults damage the environment and a growing number of people with environmental concerns are choosing green burials. As a general rule, green burials avoid the use of embalming fluid. and can be considerably less costly than traditional burials. The Heart of The Bios Urn
Designed to achieve success in the ritual. The top part of Bios Urn is especially designed to allow the seed to sprout. Before you bury the urn, you will need to mix the components with some soil from where you want your tree to grow. The components will naturally facilitate germination of the seed when mixed with soil.
A Magnificent Body
Form follows function. Thanks to its structure, Bios Urn keeps the seed separate from the ashes. The tree grows in the upper compartment, until the urn itself begins to degrade. After this time the entire set becomes part of the sub-soil and fertilizer for the tree.
What’s In The Box?
As simple as possible. When purchasing Bios Urn you will receive everything you need for planting your tree. The urn is divided into two separate capsules: the upper capsule is a sealed unit to ensure the good condition of the seed until it begins to sprout; and the lower capsule is where you will store the ashes. Both compartments are kept completely separate until the urn itself bio degrades. The urn comes in a single box.
How It Works
1. The urn comes assembled and ready to be taken to the place chosen for the regeneration.
2. Remove the seal and the outer packaging of the urn.
3. Put the ashes in the urn’s lower part. Close it with the top part and put the soil with the seed in it.
4. Bury the urn in fertile soil with its top level with the soil surface and water it.
5. In a few days the seed will germinate and your tree will begin to grow.
6. The tree will continue to grow year after year.
1. Where do you ship, how long does it take for shipping and can I get it shipped faster? Currently this product only ships to Europe and North America. Shipping times to Europe take a approx. 5-7 business days and shipping times to North America take approx. 8-12 business days. Some shipments may take longer to your destination if there are delays at customs which are out of our control. We only offer standard shipping (expedited service is not available).
2. Does the Bios Urn consist of any materials that should not be buried in the soil? No, the Bios Urn is 100% biodegradable.
3. Are there other seeds available? Yes, we also offer Ginko, Maple, Oak, Ash or Beech at no extra cost.
4. Does the Bios Urn Expire? This product can be stored for years without a decrease in functionality. Thanks to the materials with which it is designed, it stores well. It does not have any specific expiry and can last for years without any issues as long as the urn is stored in a relatively cool environment not exceeding temperatures of 90Â°F or higher, or at relative humidities of 60 percent or greater which can lead to a rapid decline in seed germinability and vigor.
5. Can I still keep some ashes for myself? Yes, you do not need to place the entire contents of the ashes you receive from the crematorium in the urn and we recommend not exceeding the ash level as required.
6. How much ash does the urn hold? The urn holds 2.5L of ash or roughly 5 pounds.
7. Won’t the ash prevent the tree from growing? The ash and seed will not be mixed together, but ash has always been good for soil and the potassium can actually encourage the growth of many flowers, plants and trees as well as help resist disease. The amount of ashes to be placed in the urn will not upset the delicate nutrient balance required for growth of or plants. As a general rule, you can safely spread 20 pounds of ash per thousand square feet of garden.
8. Is it legal to bury the urn anywhere? Please check with local authorities, but typically the urn can be planted wherever it is legal to plant a tree, including your backyard.
9. Are there burial sites/cemeteries offering this option? You would need to investigate this for yourself. The urn does not necessarily need to be in a burial site or cemetery. Many have made arrangements with divisions of Parks and Forestry to have trees planted along trails or in parks where trees are protected. This really depends on your municipal, state or provincial government.
10. Are traditional cemeteries willing to bury this type of urn? More traditional cemeteries are offering it as an option, however you need inquire within.
11. Would the crematorium carry out the germination process? Typically no. You would receive the ashes back from the crematorium and plant the bios urn yourself. Many find this process healing since they are dealing with Earth and the anticipation of the life that will come out of the urn rather than complete closure from a conventional burial plot.
12. Is this an environmentally friendly choice for my loved one? The total carbon footprint is still favoring cremation/tree planting since each tree purifies the air many times to make up for the offset during its lifetime. There are also bio and eco-cremation methods which can be pursued via funeral homes which are more environmentally friendly. Some of these methods involve cremation by Alkaline Hydrolysis which reduces cuts natural gas usage, electricity and CO2 by very large margins.
13. Do you have a version available for pets? Yes. Currently, the Bios Urn is manufactured for both people and for pets. It is essentially the same product and universal, in the sense that it has the same shape, colour and price. The only difference is packaging and labelling, to aid in identifying the product.
Join us in helping transform death into life through nature.